I just finished installing the new windows in the log cabin room. Surprisingly, the ordeal only took about an hour and a half. I’ve had terrible visions of this project, but now I realize I shouldn’t have worried. It’s just that I never installed windows before and issues can arise.
Really, all I did was remove the remaining trim from the outside of the original windows and pull them out. They weren’t nailed or screwed in. They were held in by spray foam (Great Stuff). It was a decent enough installation, but it was time those old ones disappear.
The windows I purchased yesterday were new construction windows. I’m not sure if I mentioned this already or not, but to get replacement windows would’ve created a “special order” that cost more then the new construction ones. I decided to go the less expensive route and I’m glad I did. I had a nice 2×6 framing the area I needed the window to go and I hung each one from the top 2×6.
Here are two pictures of the space for the windows:
Since I needed something to screw each window to at the bottom, I decided to use pieces that came out from the original windows. Tapered pieces that I screwed to the frame and then the window to it. They worked out very well.
Here’s a picture of one of the windows after I screwed it into place:
And here’s what they look like from the outside:
You might be able to see the large gaps on either side of each window. That’s because I purchased a 32″ wide window for a 34″ hole. I meant to do that. I wanted to hang each window level and have space at the sides for spray foam. So, after I had each window screwed in place at the top and bottom, I sprayed Great Stuff around the gaps.
I have to wait for the foam to cure before I trim the excess away. But for now, here’s a picture of the completed, insulated window installation:
After this comes the tricky part. I have to put up some 1″x4″ trim on the outside of each window and attempt to frame things out on the inside with some sort of lumber. I’m thinking perhaps 2″x4″s and 2″x6″s. Either way, I have to be sure all wood on the inside and level and plumb. I’ll get it done.
I already put up one wall of rigid foam insulation, so I figured I’d share the idea of where things are going. This is a picture of the far wall of the log cabin room:
This stuff is going to coat every nook and cranny of the room. Come Winter, I am going to stand at the windows laughing as the snow is piling up outside. I may even make a fire in the wood stove if it gets cold enough out there.