I really wasn’t looking forward to either of these tasks…that is sealing and screening in the porch. Sealing just sucks. I used a paint brush for the front porch and vowed that I would never do that again. Now, I use a wide brush with a broom stick screwed in to it. Also, I tried an electric sprayer for the railings, but ended up waterproofing my rhododendron. That thing made a mess. I returned it and picked up a two gallon canister sprayer…you know, the type people use for insect spraying. It’s in the insect control aisle of Home Depot, just in case you care. So, after a week and about six gallons of sealer, the porch is sealed…for a few years anyway.
Screening…ahh, screening. I bought 150′ worth of fiberglass porch screening yesterday from Home Depot. I kept going back and forth in my mind trying to decide if I wanted to use those screening kits or just use the staple gun. I ended up just using the gun. I started this morning and finished the whole thing by mid-afternoon. I sweat my ass off. I think it looks pretty good for being my first screening job. There are no wrinkles or sags. Actually, you could probably bounce a quarter off of them, they are so tight. I have a system…that I learned about half way through.
Here are some photos…
I bought two brass lights and installed them yesterday. These were pretty cheap at about $12 each.
This is a good shot of the almost finished screening. I mean, the screening is done, I just have to make sure all the staples are hammered in and I have to put up the trim boards. I am going to use mostly pressure treated 4″x1″s.
This is the rear view. You can see that I added the gutter and the boards down below. This is a reminder for the dog not to get all tangled up around the posts. She likes to do that.
Here is the screen door actually closed, along with the stairs that lead down to a concrete pad. Also, you can see that I took the 37′ gutter and cut it to fit the corner.
I just did this about an hour ago. I took the three sets of Christmas lights we had stored in the basement and wrapped them around the wood in the ceiling inside. This looks really cool, but just temporary until we get the real string lights.