I am officially finished with another side of the house. Only one left to go – the front. And that’s one third complete. I did that yesterday.
Today’s project included planting our Spartan Blueberry bush that’s been sitting in a pot in the back yard for the past two months (much like the Rose of Sharon). I got the idea to plant the blueberry next to the Rose of Sharon last night when I admitted to myself that I was never going to get a “pollinating” friend for this one. In order to see blueberries next season, we need a different breed of bush. One we’re not likely to find. Also, the birds pretty much took care of 90% of the blueberries this season, so I figured I would just use what we have as something ornamental. So that’s what I did. I planted it behind the Rose of Sharon, on the same side of the house the big, overgrown shrub lives.
Hopefully it will become big and luscious and look great. I can see that it already dressed up the side of the house a bit.
The next project I wanted to tackle today was to prune that monster of a shrub we’ve got right in between the two I pruned yesterday. You can see the before picture here. As you can tell, it’s quite massive and probably not helping the roof line. I wanted to get it under control.
Things started very well, but when I had about half the trimming finished, it began raining. I stopped for a while, but then decided to head back out for some minor maintenance on another bush. The rain lightened and I started trimming again. Then, the sky opened up and I just worked right through it. I was already wet, so I didn’t care. At least I finished the project.