About a year ago, I picked up a roll of fiberglass screen from the hardware store. At this point in my life, I have no idea why I did that. What I do know is that the roll of screen has been sitting in the corner of our log cabin room since the day of purchase. It hasn’t moved an inch. I surely wish I knew why I bought the stuff. It’s things like this that drive me crazy.
Anyway, September is here, which means it’s time to close the pool. This year was filled with fun and laughs and Laura doing a heck of a lot of swimming. She is the pool user, not me. I went in a few times when the temperature reached over 90 degrees, but in general, Laura’s the one who does her laps, day in and day out.
When we opened the pool this season, we found far too many leaves at the bottom of the pool. I knew how they got there. We have 4 holes in the cover. During the autumn and winter months, leaves fall from the trees nearby and sit on the cover. Eventually, they make their way to the holes. Not all of them, of course, but some of them. From there, they gently sink to the pool’s bottom and rest until I clean them out, come spring.
This isn’t fun for me – cleaning out those leaves. Last year, I ran out of shock towards the end of the season and refused to buy more, so when we opened the pool this spring, it was a swamp. Since the water was green and since I couldn’t see the bottom at the deep end, I had no idea of what was down there. After weeks of spending far too much money on chlorine and spending far too much time vacuuming, I discovered far too many leaves in the pool. It was then and there I made a vow that I would fix the holes in the pool cover.
Since the moment of that vow, I thought of the best method to use to patch the pool cover. I came up with many ideas, such as purchasing a tarp and cutting small pieces of it and sewing it to the pool cover. I through of using other, similar, materials and doing the same thing. I thought of using some sort of a glue to stick some sort of a patch to the pool. Eventually, I decided on using epoxy and pieces of the fiberglass screen I had purchased from the hardware store so long ago. Since fiberglass screen is used outside, it must have the ability to withstand water. Also, since it’s made of fiberglass, it must be strong. These are the things that came to mind.
Up until a few days ago, I was going to use epoxy to attach the screening to the cover. I even bought a few bottles of it. It wasn’t until I searched the terms “epoxy waterproof” online that I discovered that I had made a mistake. Unfortunately, epoxy isn’t waterproof. It’s water resistant, but not proof. I needed proof.
I looked around and found a product called Gorilla Glue. It’s made of polyurethane, which is the same stuff closed cell foam insulation is made of. It’s totally waterproof and it sticks to almost anything and everything. When applied to an item and activated by water, it foams slightly and grows a bit. As you’ll see from the photos below, I’m not lying to you.
I spent only a few dollars for the screen and about $12 for an 8 ounce bottle of gorilla glue. If my patching job holds up, I’ll consider the adventure a win. If the screen fails but the glue holds up, I’ll consider a different type of screening. I saw a few different variations during my last visit to Tractor Supply.
Now for the photos. Don’t laugh. I know they’re ugly. It’s all that foaming that made them so ugly. I’ll tell you one thing though, the glue is as tough as nails. It ain’t coming off.