I finished up the sanding of the joint compound last night. Two nights ago, I used the power sander…the little palm one. That was great to do the first major sand with. Then, I reapplied the joint compound and sanded by hand. Overall, everything came out pretty nicely.
I was excited to get some paint on the walls. Paint means the major dust of the project is gone. I put up plastic in the doorways to keep the majority of dust from the rest of the house. Also, I used my new safety goggles and the new respirator I bought yesterday. I must remind you that one of my least favorite activities with remodeling is sanding joint compound. I really hate it. There is such a temptation to just paint over the compound before it’s sanded. I didn’t do that and things are really smooth.
We (I mean “I” – Laura was a little shocked) went with a light gray/blue color for the paint. This was a little bit of a surprise. It looked different on the one and a half inch by two inch tab from the paint store. It is growing on us. I think, with the light colored floor and dark cabinets, things will look great.
I didn’t sand and paint the spots where cabinets would be. I bought one gallon of paint, so this worked out nicely. Any spot that I don’t have to sand is a good spot. Also, apparently, I used an overhead projector marker to mark the areas that needed to be cut for an outlet or a switch. Let’s just say that I have put about eight coats of paint on those marker lines to only see the green of the marker bleed right through. Don’t use an overhead projector marker to mark sheetrock.