One of the things I’ve got to finish up before Winter rolls around is the window replacement in the log cabin room. I’ve already done the wood stove installation and now I’m going to tackle the windows. Basically, I’d like to get everything done that I couldn’t do while there was six feet of snow on the ground. While the room still needs insulation, sheetrock, a floor and a whole bunch of trim, I can do that mid-Winter if I wanted to. I just can’t put a ladder up against the house with those piles of snow that I pulled off the roof. Nor do I want to.
The brand of window I’m going to purchase is “Spencer Walcott” a Mathews Brothers Family Product. I’m going to buy them from Campbell’s Building Supply over in Madison. I think the windows are made in Maine as well.
I was in the building supply center last week and while I was there, I asked to see the windows in the warehouse. They agreed to me inspecting the quality and had one of the guys in back walk me over to their stock. He showed me what I wanted to see and then informed me that the replacement windows are more expensive than the new construction because they’ve got to special order them. I can use either in this case, so I think I’ll go with the new construction. It’s either screw the vinyl to the siding of the house or rest the window in the frame and foam seal it in place. Doesn’t matter which route I take – both will be air tight when I’m finished with the project. Trust me, they’ll be air tight.
The size in need is around 34″x48″. I’m probably going to go with 32″x48″ because I like the wiggle room for more insulation. And the smaller the window volume, more likely the cheaper as well.
I just went outside and took some before pictures of the back of the log cabin room and then a few shots of the window frame after I removed the outer trim. Looks simple enough. I’ll update this site after I get the new windows in hand and start the project in earnest.
***** UPDATE *****
Laura asked if I needed anything from town today. I’ve been going back and forth with this window thing because I didn’t want to drop the money to pay for them. I know they’ve got to get done, but it’s difficult paying for something that gives me such little satisfaction. Even worse, we already have windows. I just have to install better ones. Whatever. I bit the bullet and agreed to go to town with her. We stopped by Cambell’s Building Supply and made the purchase. Good news too – Dick from Campbell’s gave me a 10% discount. I told him I’m going to be a big customer, so we’re working out some sort of an account. 10% is pretty good too – over $60 saved.
The windows I bought are the “Spencer Walcott” ones from Mathews Brothers I told you about in this post. They are pretty spiffy. A nice little perk with these windows is that they are made right here in Maine.
As you can well imagine, I’ve already gone over these windows pretty carefully and I can say they are high quality. There is very little flex to them and their construction seems legit. I can’t wait to start pulling out the old ones to put these bad boys in!
***** UPDATE *****
I just finished installing the new windows in the log cabin room. Surprisingly, the ordeal only took about an hour and a half. I’ve had terrible visions of this project, but now I realize I shouldn’t have worried. It’s just that I never installed windows before and issues can arise.
Really, all I did was remove the remaining trim from the outside of the original windows and pull them out. They weren’t nailed or screwed in. They were held in by spray foam (Great Stuff). It was a decent enough installation, but it was time those old ones disappear.
The windows I purchased yesterday were new construction windows. I’m not sure if I mentioned this already or not, but to get replacement windows would’ve created a “special order” that cost more then the new construction ones. I decided to go the less expensive route and I’m glad I did. I had a nice 2×6 framing the area I needed the window to go and I hung each one from the top 2×6.
Here are two pictures of the space for the windows:
Since I needed something to screw each window to at the bottom, I decided to use pieces that came out from the original windows. Tapered pieces that I screwed to the frame and then the window to it. They worked out very well.
Here’s a picture of one of the windows after I screwed it into place:
And here’s what they look like from the outside:
You might be able to see the large gaps on either side of each window. That’s because I purchased a 32″ wide window for a 34″ hole. I meant to do that. I wanted to hang each window level and have space at the sides for spray foam. So, after I had each window screwed in place at the top and bottom, I sprayed Great Stuff around the gaps.
I have to wait for the foam to cure before I trim the excess away. But for now, here’s a picture of the completed, insulated window installation:
After this comes the tricky part. I have to put up some 1″x4″ trim on the outside of each window and attempt to frame things out on the inside with some sort of lumber. I’m thinking perhaps 2″x4″s and 2″x6″s. Either way, I have to be sure all wood on the inside and level and plumb. I’ll get it done.
I already put up one wall of rigid foam insulation, so I figured I’d share the idea of where things are going. This is a picture of the far wall of the log cabin room:
This stuff is going to coat every nook and cranny of the room. Come Winter, I am going to stand at the windows laughing as the snow is piling up outside. I may even make a fire in the wood stove if it gets cold enough out there.