It’s been an exciting past two days. A few weeks ago, the heat of summer broke and I got up off my duff to begin working on the house once again. The first project was to finish the drywalling in the log cabin room. This is something that has taken me almost two and a half years to complete. I began a long time ago and just yesterday afternoon, I finished. Well, the drywalling part anyway.
Let’s look back some many many months. When Laura and I first moved in to this house, we were greeted by a rather cozy “separate” room that sits off the main house. To see photos of it, please visit this post:
Personally, I though the room was great. It wasn’t until our first winter rolled around that I realized a small insulation problem. The Problem was – there was none. Sure, the walls were solid wood, much like a traditional log cabin’s walls are, which sort of insulates, but in between the rows of solid wood were air gaps. As you may have guessed, air gaps in walls during January nights of -23 degrees are an issue. We decided to barricade the room off and focus on more pressing projects.
Here’s a funny story for you. During the more windy days and nights of our first winter and after we closed the door to the log cabin room, Laura and I would sit around listening to that door bang back and forth on its framing. The room has such air infiltration that the mere change of pressure between it and the outdoors would create a vacuum and then pressure and would repeat over and over again. Sitting there listening to it prompted me to head back during the early spring with a crowbar in hand. You can see how I tore the drywall ceiling out in the post I linked to above.
The best idea I could come up with to solve the lack of insulation issue was to layer rigid foam over the existing walls and ceiling. I screwed the foam right up against everything and when I was done with that, I taped all the seams. Immediately, I felt a huge difference. There was no more air leakage and no more cold spots. It was incredible. If you’d like to read about that experience, you can do so in these three posts:
To make things even more tight, I blocked off one window (which still needs to be covered from the outside) and replaced the four that remained. Basically, this created an airtight room, which is exactly what I was looking for.
A few months ago, I began to hang dry wall. While this wasn’t very difficult to do, I did it alone and quickly bored of it. I think if drywall was the only thing to hang, I could have tackled the project with much more gusto. The fact that I had to first tear the entire room apart, then install the rigid foam and then replace the windows did nothing other than to cause me to completely lose interest. After living in so many houses and doing pretty much the exact same types of repairs, I simply don’t want to do it anymore. Even as I sit here and write, I look at the walls that surround me and wonder when I’ll get to the spackling that needs to be gotten to.
Anyway, I worked all Sunday and then half of Monday to finish the drywall. Now, I made a promise to myself that I’ll take advantage of the momentum that I created and continue to spackle. As you can see in the (horrible) photos below, I already have begun that endeavor.
Here are a few photos. I tried to brighten them up as much as possible.
I really wish I had one of those clean construction sites to share, but unfortunately, all I have is a lived in area where I have to work around everything that’s currently there. Even Steve’s poor old couches are in the way. I have to keep shuffling them back and forth. Oh well, I’ll finish up soon.
So there you have it. I’m not sure if I wrote this post more for you or more for me. I love keeping tabs on my progress. I get to look back at exciting photos such as these during later years. The next post I write about this topic will include photos of mud, or spackle, or whatever you want to call it.