Well, I finally finished digging out the basement. I found some time under a rock on Saturday and went down to the pit with my shovel and rototiller. This was the last section of dirt…and boy was this tough stuff. I swear it was like rock, not to mention all the real rocks! Take a look at the before shot:
and now take a look at the after:
As you can see, they are not the same angles. The before shot has the center lally columns on the left and the after shot has them on the right. I added some additional columns to stiffen up the floor under the bathroom because I am going to tile that eventually. Also, I added some more columns that you can’t see here for the kitchen tile.
I am still raking out the rocks, but things are going smoothly. I purchased 2000 square feet of 6 mil plastic yesterday to lay on the floor. From what I hear, it is important to stop the moisture from coming up through the dirt. After I cover the entire floor with plastic and paint the concrete block, I am going to maybe get some gravel to cover the plastic with. That will make it a lot easier to walk around down there. Also, it will prep the area if anyone ever wants to cement the basement. All they will have to do is pour…