Alright everyone, I’ve decided to get off my duff and start cleaning things up around here. I thought I could just sit back and fall into oblivion for the rest of my life, but unfortunately I’ve been raised to pick up after myself. I just can’t sit here any longer watching the grass grow.
It’s not that I want to make things cute or nice, I simply want the house to look clean. After all, it hasn’t been too long since I psychotically maintained the house and property up in Connecticut. I couldn’t have fallen off the wagon so soon. And with that in mind, I’ve created a list for myself to complete in a very unspecified amount of time.
– Pull up all cement landscaping borders.
– Put in plantings around front of house.
– Trim bushes along front and side.
– Weed in between bushes.
– Paint exterior of house.
– Put in new mailbox and post.
– Fix cracked tiles inside.
– Replace carpet.
– Paint entire interior.
I think that’s it. Those items should take me a good long time to complete, but really, all I’m concerned about for the next few days is getting the front yard squared away.
I already told you that I removed the cement landscape edging in the front. After I was finished with that, I pulled out the lawnmower and kind of ran over some of the mulched areas. I wanted to see if I could just “disperse” the mulch into the grass. Unfortunately, that wasn’t going to work out. While I could get away with such as idea up north, down here, all I ended up with was a wider area of ugly red mulch. I ha to pull out the ol’ rake yesterday and physically remove it all. It was a hot and sticky project, but one that’s done.
As you can see from the photos above, things look a bit bare. I’m hoping the grass begins to creep into the bald areas. Also, if you notice in what used to be the “coffin” area, I planted a rose bush and a butterfly bush. We had these sitting in pots in the sidewalk and they weren’t doing much good there. I thought they’d add a little pizzazz up front, along with allowing them to actually grow. Even though I re-potted these plants into larger pots, they had root bind. Root bind occurs when the pot isn’t large enough for the plant.
Today’s project is to trim the front bushes. I want them to be at least a foot and a half away from the front of the house. I need to get in there to paint, so it isn’t going to help much if I have shrubs rubbing up against the stucco. It’ll also give things the “neat” appearance I’m going for. I’ll take some “after” shots when I’m finished.