The way I operate is like this; I usually just putz (that’s Laura’s word) around and kind of start tinkering with something. My tinkering turns into light work and the light work turns into hard labor. That’s how I built most of the things around this house. I never have a plan…well, not a real one anyway.
Yesterday, I got home and realized it was very nice weather outside. I grabbed a huge screwdriver, hammer and a cordless drill. I walked out on the back porch and started taking it apart. Before the end of May, I need to take the whole thing apart and dig out the old footings. The current ones are 8″ and the new ones are going to be 12″. Also, we are going to double up on the number of footings to take out any bounce. I hate bounce.
Here are some pictures of what I did yesterday. I took apart the railings. This weekend I will finish that up so all there will be left is the flat floor.
Anything I take apart, I stack neatly down below. I also take all the screws out and save them in a bucket. I am going to make a real effort to save a rainforest with this project and re-use any material I can. All the lumber to construct this porch will be new, but with building the little stuff, I think I can get away with re-using some of what I have.